Main Article Content
Dry hydroponic is an emerging system and gaining popularity among some hydroponic businesses, yet investigation on its performance has not been reported. Purpose of this research is to evaluate and compare performance of dry hydroponic system to floating and wick systems on green leafy lettuce cultivation. The experiment used Completely Randomized Design (CRD) with factorial arrangement. Two factors, hydroponic systems and aerator usages, were implemented. The hydroponic systems included Dry, Wick and Floating systems, while the use of aerator were with and without aerators. All treatment combinations consisted of 3 replicates. Parameters to be observed were nutrient solution parameters (pH, temperature, dissolved oxygen, water consumption), plant parameters (height, stem diameter, leaf width, number of leaves, leaf thickness, and canopy area, shoot fresh weight, water content, some chemical contents). Data sets were analyzed using analysis of variance followed by a least significant Difference (LSD) test at level of 5%. Results showed that the interaction between the hydroponic system and the use of aerators were not significantly different for all parameters observed. The hydroponic systems were not significantly different too. The use of aerator was significant for the nutrient solution parameters (pH and Dissolved Oxygen), water content, and phosphorus contents of leaves. In conclusion, Dry Hydroponic System has the same performances as compared to floating and wick systems.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Bodenmiller, D. (2017). Effects of aeration on lettuce (Lactuca sativa) growth in deep water culture aquaponics [Bachelor’s thesis|]. Tampereen ammattikorkeakoulu. http://www.theseus.fi/handle/10024/139274
- Both, A. J. (2021). Ten years of hydroponic lettuce research. https://aesop.rutgers.edu
- Cobden, J. (2021). Dry Hydroponics for Short Cycle Crops. AIS Greenworks. Retrieved January 24, 2021, from https://www.aisgreenworks.com.au/dry-hydroponics/
- Domingues, D. S., Takahashi, H. W., Camara, C. A. P., & Nixdorf, S. L. (2012). Automated system developed to control pH and concentration of nutrient solution evaluated in hydroponic lettuce production. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 84, 53–61.
- Frick, J., & Mitchell, C. (1993). Stabilization of pH in Solid-matrix Hydroponic Systems. HortScience : A Publication of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 28, 981–984.
- Goto, E., Both, A. J., Albright, L. D., Langhans, R. W., & Leed, A. R. (1996). Effect of Dissolved Oxygen Concentration on Lettuce Growth in Floating Hydroponics. Acta Horticulturae, 440, 205–210.
- Gunawan, I., Asbur, Y., & Rambe, D. H. (2017). Agronomic Characteristics of Mustard (Brassica juncea L.) on the Application of Fertilizer Solution and Flannel Size at Wick Hydroponic System. International Journal of Science and Research Methodology 6(3), 65–78.
- Kleiber, T., Starzyk, J., & Bosiacki, M. (2013). Effect of nutrient solution, effective microorganisms (EM-A), and assimilation illumination of plants on the induction of the growth of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) in hydroponic cultivation. Acta Agrobotanica, 66(1), 27–38.
- Krisna, B., Putra, E. E. T. S., Rogomulyo, R., & Kastono, D. (2017). Pengaruh Pengayaan Oksigen dan Kalsium terhadap Pertumbuhan Akar dan Hasil Selada Keriting ( Lactuca sativa L.) pada Hidroponik Rakit Apung. Vegetalika, 6(4), 14–27.
- Krisnawati, D. (2015). The Effect of Aeration on Baby Kailan (Brassica Oleraceae Var. Achepala) Growth in Floating System of Hydroponic Technology inside and outside the Greenhouse. Jurnal Teknik Pertanian Lampung (Journal of Agricultural Engineering), 3(3), 213-222.
- Lastra, O., Tapia, M. L., Razeto, B., & Rojas, M. (2009). Response of Hydroponic Lettuce Cultivars to Different Treatments of Nitrogen: Growth and Foliar Nitrate Content. Idesia (Arica), 27(1).
- Ningrum, D. Y., Triyono, S., & Tusi, A. (2014). Pengaruh Lama Aerasi Terhadap Pertumbuhan Dan Hasil Tanaman Sawi (Brassica juncea L.) pada Hidroponik DFT (Deep Flow Technique). Jurnal Teknik Pertanian Lampung (Journal of Agricultural Engineering), 3(1), 83–90.
- Roosta, H. R., Bagheri, M. H., Hamidpour, M., & Roozban, M. R. (2016). Interactive Effects of Nitrogen Form and Oxygen Concentration on Growth and Nutritional Status of Eggplant in Hydroponics. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 18(3), 731–739.
- Sharma, N., Acharya, S., Kumar, K., Singh, N., & Chaurasia, O. P. (2018). Hydroponics as an advanced technique for vegetable production: An overview. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 17(4), 364-371.
- Singer, S. M., Hamza, A. E., El-Samad, E. H. A., Sawan, O. M., El-Behairy, U. A., & Abou-Hadid, A. F. (2015). Growth, yield and mineral contents of lettuce cultivars grown in nutrient film technique (NFT) at different transplanting dates. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 6(1), 172–183.
- Singh, H., Dunn, B., & Payton, M. (2019). Hydroponic pH Modifiers affect Plant Growth and Nutrient Content in Leafy Greens. Journal of Horticultural Research, 27(1), 31–36.
- Thompson, H. C., Langhans, R. W., Both, A.-J., & Albright, L. D. (1998). Shoot and Root Temperature Effects on Lettuce Growth in a Floating Hydroponic System. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 123(3), 361–364.
- USDA. (2011). U.S. Lettuce Statistics. Retrieved January 24, 202. https://usda.library.cornell.edu/concern/publications/cc08hf60z
- USGS. (2006). Chapter A6. Section 6.2. Dissolved oxygen. Retrieved January 24, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3133/twri09A6.2
- Vojnich, V. J., Hüvely, A., Pető, J., & Novák, D. I. (2016). Nutrient content in leaves of hydroponic lettuce (Lactuca sativa convar. Capitata L.) on higher magnesium and nitrogen nutrient treatment. Acta Biologica Szegediensis, 60(2), 167–169.